Environmental Science Study Guide Fall 2018
- Difference between biotic and abiotic factors
- Know and be able to explain the three types of symbiosis (mutualism, commensalism, parasitism)
- Know the dynamics of competition, predation, and other patterns of interaction
- Be able to describe food webs and food chains. Know the 10% rule
- Known the general description of the world’s biomes, including major features, location on the planet, what causes the biome features, and the types of plants and animals that exist in these biomes.
- Be familiar with how humans are impacting the planet. Choose between the following things: eutrophication, desertification, deforestation, mining, invasive species, drought, heavy grazing, ranching and agriculture, acid rain.
- Know the major components of the following nutrient cycles: Nitrogen, Phosphorus, sulfur.
- Know the Carbon Cycle including these major processes: Consumption, Photosynthesis, Respiration, Decomposition, Combustion, Diffusion, Extraction.
- Know one type of fossil fuel technology or process and be able to describe it’s impact on the environment.
- Know about your own carbon footprint, things that contribute to it, as well as solutions that you are taking to reduce the size of your carbon footprint.